Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Math Whiz

This post is for my father - and all the other fathers out there who tried to tutor their children in math, despite screaming and crying. I'm sure he'll have a lot of nachas.

I was extremely proud of myself yesterday. I actually used 2 algebraic equations. I needed to figure out how many hours, approximately, I had spent editing the first issue of a magazine. So I used information I had about how long it took me to edit pages of the second issue.

Here they are:
11.6p=70 (11.6 was the number of pages edited in the 2nd issue, which took 70 minutes)
63p=m (After calculating that p=6.03, I figured out that m=380, and I spent 380 minutes or 6.3 hours editing 63 pages of the 1st issue.)

Brilliant. I think NASA will be contacting me about getting involved with the space program after they hear about this. And Abba, I think I deserve some "Grandma's" cookies for this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment